If you’re in need of a defense attorney, you already have a lot to deal with. Facing allegations or charges can be one of the most stressful situations of your life, so you absolutely need credible representation to maintain your freedom. But how can you make the appropriate choice for your defense? It can be tempting to just find the first available attorney for your defense when you’re in a pinch, but it’s important to take some time to find a good fit before hiring a defense attorney to protect your case.
Key Characteristics of Good Legal Defense
- Free Consultation. Any good defense lawyer knows that you have lots of questions. You should have an opportunity to talk over your case with a defense attorney before choosing them for representation.
- Look for a defense attorney with years of experience, because they will simply know better how the legal system works in a variety of cases. Their experience can be the difference between a conviction and acquittal. Ask how long they’ve been practicing, how many cases they have defended, and what their background looks like.
- Finding an attorney who regularly works in your local justice system means they know many in the courthouse, including prosecuting attorneys, judges, and other legal system employees. This will work to your advantage. You will have lots of options, but look for a defense team that knows your area well.
- Response Time. Many clients don’t think about this until it’s too late. Will you be able to get ahold of your defense attorney when you need them? When will they return messages? Will you have to play phone tag for days? Response time matters.
- When you’re facing criminal charges the last thing you need is an attorney who looks at you like a criminal. You need a defense attorney who sees you as a human and wants to protect all of your rights. Find an attorney who wants to hear your story, believes you, and will fight for you day and night.
- Financial Compensation. There are a variety of ways to compensate your defense attorney, so figure out what sounds reasonable to you. Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes they charge more than they’re worth, and sometimes you can get great defense for honest prices. See what your options have to offer in terms of compensation.
If you’re in the market for legal representation you do need to act fast. A good defense attorney can immediately begin building your case and protecting your rights, so don’t wait. But be sure you’re making the right choice for you by assessing at least a few options in your area.